State Services.



In order to begin Case Management and related services, individuals must meet eligibility through the South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs (DDSN). Please call them at 1-800-289-7012. They will ask questions and then process the intake. Applying for Medicaid (see below) may help speed up the intake process. Assuming you are eligible for Case Management, they will give you a list of providers to choose from. Your provider will be your main contact for getting services.

Additional information on DDSN services is available online at




Medicaid may be available for your loved one with a disability, assuming they meet certain criteria. There are two different kinds of Medicaid to consider.

Traditional Medicaid is based on the family’s income, and there is no disability requirement. Anyone whose family income falls below certain levels can apply for traditional Medicaid. For more information, visit

For children under the age of 18, you can apply for Medicaid through the TEFRA (Katie Beckett) program. This program is for children with disabilities, and considers only the applicant’s income. TEFRA Medicaid forms are available online at

You can also click here to print a hard copy of the Medicaid application.

The application process can take several months. When you fill out the forms, be very detailed. You can attach additional sheets if needed. It also speeds up the process for TEFRA Medicaid if you can attach all the medical and educational records so they don’t have to request them. Before mailing, make a copy of your whole packet as a backup. If your TEFRA application is denied, you can appeal.

Social Security


Parents/Guardians should consider applying for SSI for adults with disabilities. As an adult, the SSI income requirements are based on the individual with a disability and their resources not the family’s. It is recommended to charge your adult child rent so that your child will receive the maximum amount. Parents may be recognized as the Representative Payee for their adult child with a disability. This requires you to make yearly reports as to how the SSI money was spent.

For more information on SSI, visit