The South Carolina Autism Society Unveils its Specialty License Plate
Columbia, SC- June 23, 2014–The South Carolina Autism Society announces its Autism Awareness specialty license plate is now available for purchase. The plate is available to all SC residents for a fee of $30 every two years in addition to the regular motor vehicle registration fee. It is estimated that almost 70,000 individuals in South Carolina have some form of autism.
Proceeds from the plate will be used for advocacy, education, information, and referral services to help individuals and their families with autism spectrum disorders. Plates can be ordered through the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles website. “We would like to thank Mr. James Anderson of Spartanburg, Representative Donna Wood of Spartanburg, and the South Carolina General Assembly for their support in making the autism awareness plate a reality,” said Kim Thomas, president & CEO of South Carolina Autism Society.
Autism Spectrum Disorder Statistics
- One to 1.5 million Americans live with an autism spectrum disorder
- Prevalence is estimated at one in 68 children
- Nearly 70,000 in South Carolina have some form of autism
- The cost of autism over the average lifespan is estimated at 3.2 million dollars per person
- Cost of lifelong care can be reduced by two-thirds with early diagnosis and early intervention
- ASD is a lifelong development disability that typically appears during the first three years of life