Greenville ADA Celebration
Join Greenville CAN for a special ADA 25th Anniversary Celebration on Friday, June 5th at Fluor Field in Greenville! This free event runs from 12:00 pm – 2:30 pm.ALL ARE WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND!
- The ADA Legacy Tour traveling exhibit featuring displays highlighting milestones in the disability rights movement.
- Resource Fair featuring local disability service providers.
- ADA Proclamation presentations by the City of Greenville and Greenville County.
- Marth Childress, Keynote Speaker: Martha’s life changed in late October 2013 when she was struck by a bullet waiting for a taxi in Columbia, SC. Her injury left her a T-11 complete paraplegic. Awareness and accessibility are now key components to Martha’s message as she navigates the world ahead.
12 pm — ADA Legacy Tour Disability Rights Exhibit, Community Resource Fair
1 pm — Presentation
- Sandy Hanebrink, Executive Director, Touch the Future
- Mike Teachey, Lead Facilitator, Greenville CAN
- David Sudduth, Mayor Pro Tem, City of Greenville
- Joe Dill, Councilman, Greenville County Council
- Ruben Alvarez, Self-Advocate, David’s Table
- Martha Childress, Self-Advocate
1:30 – 2:30 pm — Photos, Exhibit viewing, and Resource Fair continue
2:30 pm — After the event, individuals with disabilities are encouraged to spend the afternoon in downtown Greenville to highlight the importance of accessibility and community inclusion.
ADA Summer Celebration Events
This event also serves as the kickoff to Greenville CAN’s Summer Celebration. Consider attending one of the following events:
- June 5 ADA Rally/ Tour Bus – ADA Summer Celebration Kickoff and Resource Fair – Drive Stadium 12:30-2:00
- June 11 Applied Theater Center Performance – Kroc Center 7:00 pm
- June 11 Adaptive Cycling Ride with Roger C Peace – 6:00-7:30 Swamp Rabbit Café
- June 15 Sled Hockey Clinic 6:30-7:30 (Pavilion)
- June 25 Adaptive Cycling Ride with Roger C Peace 6:00-7:30 – Swamp Rabbit Café
- June 25 Disability Day at Otter Creek 5:45-7:45
- July 9 Adaptive Cycling Ride with Roger C Peace 6:00-7:30
- July 18 Ski Bash with Roger C. Peace – Lake Bowen Landing 10:00-4:00
- July 21 ADA Workshop for Government Representatives
- July 22 Able SC Outdoor Movie at Falls Park
- July 23 Adaptive Cycling Ride with Roger C Peace 6-7:30
- July 26 Discovery Island 5:45-7:45
Greenville CAN is a network of self advocates, providers, families, and professionals in Greenville County working together to strengthen our community for individuals with special needs and disabilities. We believe that through partnerships and cooperation, Greenville CAN be an equitable and inclusive community for all to live. The South Carolina Autism Society is actively participating in this network.
For more information, visit www.greenvillecan.org.