Social Security

Parents/Guardians should consider applying for SSI for the adults with disabilities. As an adult, the SSI income requirements are based on the individual with a disability and their resources not the family’s. Parents are recommended to charge your adult child rent so that your child will receive the maximum amount. Parents may be recognized as the Representative Payee for their adult child with a disability. This requires you to make yearly reports as to how the SSI money was spent.

For more information on SSI, visit .