- This event has passed.
Sensory Friendly Day @ SC State Museum (March 2017)
March 6, 2017 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
The South Carolina State Museum is excited to offer Sensory Friendly Days at the museum for schools and families with special needs. General admission is free for children with special needs and one adult in each family with reduced prices for 4D experiences and planetarium shows.
Hunt for leprechauns in this special Sensory Friendly Day at the State Museum.
On this day visitors will be able to enjoy a less crowded environment, a designated sensory room, light and sound reduction when possible, and a special themed activity presented by SC Autism. School groups and families with special needs are invited to share this time and space with others facing similar challenges in a safe, understanding environment. Guests are encouraged to bring equipment including wheelchairs, walkers, noise reducing headphones, and other technology.
ADMISSION: Sensory Friendly Day activities are open to the general public and groups! Museum general admission on this day is FREE for children, students and ONE adult. General admission for additional adults in your party is $8.95. Planetarium and 4D shows are $3 each.
This March 6 you can experience sensory friendly fun:
· From 12 – 2 p.m. enjoy a Leprechaun Hunt throughout the SC State Museum with SC Autism staff and volunteers to encourage social interaction and self-motivation.
· From 12 – 2 p.m. enjoy Interactive Story Time
· Special Rev. Dr. Solomon Jackson, Jr. 4D Theater showings with lowered volume. Please note: these shows will still include enhanced effects, including bursts of air, rumbling seats, leg ticklers, bubbles and snow, lighting effects, and squirts of water.
· Special sensory-friendly BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina Planetarium showings with lowered volume and lights raised in the event guests need to move about.
· If it is a sunny day guests can also enjoy solar viewing in the Boeing Observatory from 11:30am-12:30pm. PLUS live solar images will be projected on the screens throughout the day.
· Access to Calming Spaces and Resource Rooms will be available throughout the day.
School groups and other pre-formed groups are welcome to attend and participate in Sensory Friendly Day activities! Groups do need to be booked in advance so contact group visits to setup your visit today at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (803)898-4999.