On behalf of the Staff and Board of Directors of the South Carolina Autism Society, Happy Holidays!
2014 has been a busy year for our organization. In March, the Centers for Disease Control released the latest autism prevalence rates, noting that autism occurs in 1 in 68 children. This represents a doubling of the number of individuals diagnosed with autism in the past 8 years. Naturally as the prevalence rate increases, so does the need for services.
In response to those needs…
• We increased our Case Management staff to ensure that our families receive the services and items needed to support their loved one with autism.
• We continue to provide Parent Mentors through our Parent School Partnership program to assist families and students in reaching their maximum potential in the educational system.
• We increased our Information & Referral staff to provide more targeted resources statewide.
• We expanded our family respite program to additional regions in the state.
• We held Strides for Autism events in Columbia and Greenville, providing increased autism awareness for the community and resources for families.
• We provided training courses statewide in partnership with the South Carolina Department of Education.
• We advocated at the State House in Columbia, including efforts involving Medicaid and expanded insurance coverage for autism therapies.
• We coordinated with the LUCAS Network to provide a Thanksgiving meal to 95 autism families facing financial difficulty across the state.
• We partnered with organizations and agencies throughout the state.
We eagerly look forward to continuing these initiatives throughout the New Year, and increasing our efforts to provide even more resources and services to families! In the meantime, we invite you to visit our website at www.scautism.org or contact us at email@example.com if we can be of assistance to you or your family.